At Wetherby Osteopaths we would like to promote the idea of supporting you to achieve the best outcome should you need a hip or knee replacement.
Here is some general advice:
PREPARATION FOR HIP AND KNEE REPLACEMENT
- To reduce risk of pre and post operative infections be extra attentive to FOOT and DENTAL HYGIENE; gum infections and fungal foot infections increase risk.
- Reduce weight
- Stop smoking and reduce alcohol intake
- Take extra care to keep skin clean and healthy
- Shower before your operation
Plan ahead. Even taking up strengthening exercises as little as six weeks before your operation can improve your recovery time.
- Upper body strength to enable moving in bed and use of crutches – your osteopath can advice you of the best exercises for you.
- Lower body to increase the strength of the abdomen, thigh and buttock muscles which are needed over the first post operative six weeks.
- Practice sleeping on your back for a few weeks before your operation because you will have to do this post operative.
Please contact us for a more personalised individual assessment and advice on the best pre and post operative exercises for you.